“Back surgery is one of the most overused types of surgery as well as the most common ailment that sends patients to doctors, chiropractors, and physical therapists,” conveys Crain’s Detroit Business magazine’s article called Health Insurers Look for Ways to Cut Costs with Back Surgery. What a way to start an article! It goes on:
- $90 billion on low back pain alone annually
- 1.2 million spinal surgeries a year
- $60,000 to $110,000 per lumbar fusion surgery (the fastest-growing type of surgery in the past decade)
The back surgery failure rate, the so-called “failed back syndrome” or the more “politically correct” term “post-surgical continued pain syndrome,” is as high as 50%. (1) With healthcare spending in the US exceeding $3.5 trillion - $10,739 per person – it is no wonder that insurers look for another way to cut costs, particularly when one-third of the money goes to hospital care of chronic illnesses. (2) New Hampshire Spine and Sport is well-trained and knowledgeable in offering non-hospital-based care to help Southern New Hampshire back pain – chronic and acute – patients find relief of and manage their back pain – and post-surgical continued back pain - without surgery.
LOW BACK PAIN FACTS
Low back pain is the leading cause of years lived with disability globally. Today, recommendations for low back pain relief care discourage pain medications, steroid injections and spine surgery and encourage physical therapy and psychological therapy. Healthcare systems tend to struggle with these new approaches. Why? Pharmaceutical companies’ financial interests, old payment systems that favor medical care, outdated traditions, and legal, personal, political, and societal beliefs of us all. These notions are shared in the Bulletin of the World Health Organization, believe it or not. (3) New Hampshire Spine and Sport reads this with interest.
BACK SURGERY CHOICE
In light of these facts, it’s not hard to believe that some back pain sufferers will pick back surgery over non-surgical care of their back pain. “Patients go where insurance pays, even if it is surgery.” In one study, back pain sufferers chose to see a primary care physician (PCP) or physical therapist (PT) or chiropractor first because of their health plan type, co-payment, and deductible. Modifying these factors to make them more valuable/less expensive/less restrictive as to provider type could inspire low back pain sufferers to choose non-hospital, conservative treatment rather than back surgery. (4) New Hampshire Spine and Sport likes this! Less than 1% of back pain sufferers require back surgery. (5) New Hampshire Spine and Sport is ready to help the other 99% of the Southern New Hampshire back pain sufferers cope with their back pain and rework their lifestyles to live with the spine they have and cope with its episodes of pain and relief.
RECURRENT BACK PAIN
Southern New Hampshire back pain sufferers are in good company if their back pain returns. It happens. It’s controllable. It is manageable. Some facts first: Within a year of recovery, 69% of patients had another episode of back pain of some sort. Awkward postures, long sitting times, and more than 2 prior back pain experiences trigger the risk of back pain recurrence. (6) It’s ok though. Really! New Hampshire Spine and Sport helps Southern New Hampshire back pain patients find their way through these recurrences and deal with them so they don’t limit anyone’s enjoyment of life. We have a treatment plan!
CONTACT New Hampshire Spine and Sport
Listen to Dr. Kimble Cater on The Back Doctors Podcast with Dr. Michael Johnson discuss how he helped an expectant mother with her repeated episodes of back pain. Whether you’re pregnant or not, Southern New Hampshire chiropractic care at New Hampshire Spine and Sport can help you cope with repeated episodes of back pain, too.
Schedule a Southern New Hampshire chiropractic appointment at New Hampshire Spine and Sport for back pain relief. Our care is not overused! The gentle, effective, evidence-based system of Cox® Technic seeks 50% relief within 4-6 weeks of care and often delivers 70%, 80%, 90% and greater for many of our patients at less cost – in terms of finances and lifestyle – than back surgery.